APSHCL stands for Andhra Pradesh State Housing Corporation Limited, a government-owned entity that is responsible for implementing various housing schemes in the state. APSHCL aims to provide affordable and quality housing to the weaker sections of the society, such as the urban poor, rural poor, scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, and other backward classes. APSHCL also promotes cost-effective and eco-friendly building technologies and materials to reduce the environmental impact of housing construction.
APSHCL’s Role and Functions
APSHCL is the nodal agency for taking up all centrally assisted housing schemes being sanctioned for various groups for the state. Some of these schemes include:
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) – Urban: A flagship scheme of the central government that provides central assistance to states and union territories for providing housing to all eligible urban poor by 20222.
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) – Gramin: A scheme that aims to provide pucca houses with basic amenities to all rural households living in kutcha and dilapidated houses by 2022.
- YSR Housing Scheme: A state-sponsored scheme that provides free houses to the beneficiaries belonging to economically weaker sections, low income groups, and middle income groups.
APSHCL also provides financial and technical assistance to developers, for building homes for the weaker sections of the society. APSHCL monitors and supervises the quality and progress of the housing projects, and ensures timely completion and delivery of the houses to the beneficiaries. APSHCL also coordinates with various stakeholders, such as central and state governments, local bodies, banks, NGOs, and private partners, to facilitate the smooth implementation of the housing schemes.
APSHCL’s Achievements and Future Plans
APSHCL has been instrumental in providing affordable housing to millions of people in Andhra Pradesh. According to its official website, APSHCL has constructed more than 28 lakh houses under various schemes since its inception in 1979. APSHCL has also introduced several innovations and best practices in the housing sector, such as:
- Using precast technology and fly ash bricks to reduce construction time and cost.
- Adopting green building norms and energy-efficient measures to enhance sustainability and livability.
- Implementing geo-tagging and biometric authentication to ensure transparency and accountability.
- Providing skill development and livelihood opportunities to the beneficiaries and local communities.
APSHCL is committed to achieving the vision of “Housing for All” by 2022, as envisaged by the central and state governments. APSHCL plans to construct more than 15 lakh houses under PMAY-Urban, PMAY-Gramin, and YSR Housing Scheme in the next two years. APSHCL also aims to improve the quality of life of the residents by providing them with basic amenities, such as water supply, sanitation, electricity, roads, drainage, etc. APSHCL also strives to create a conducive environment for private sector participation and public-private partnership in the housing sector.
APSHCL is a key player in the affordable housing sector in Andhra Pradesh. APSHCL has been successfully implementing various housing schemes for the benefit of the weaker sections of the society. APSHCL has also been adopting innovative and eco-friendly technologies and methods to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the housing delivery system. APSHCL is determined to fulfill its mission of providing decent and dignified housing to all by 2022.